>  
Intense heatwave in Maharashtra puts crop at risk

Intense heatwave in Maharashtra puts crop at risk

06:59 PM


For the last one month, maximum temperatures in Maharashtra have been settling above 40°C. In fact, since the last few days, heatwave has tightened its grip over the interior parts of the state and are now settling between 43°C and 46°C.

Further, no respite is expected in the coming few days and mercury will continue settle in the similar range.

It’s not just the people of Maharashtra that are bearing the brunt of intense heatwave, but the impact of exceptional hot weather can now also be seen over the crop production as well.

Also Read: Pune continues to sizzle, Mumbai gets slight relief

According to agriculture specialists, cases of wilting has been reported in the Maize crop. Around 30%-40% of the crop is still in the field and yet to be harvested.

Meanwhile, Banana leaves have started tearing due to high temperatures and hot winds. Partur Taluka in Jalna district is the primary Banana growing belt in Maharashtra. Similarly, Pomegranate fruits have also started cracking up early due to the persistent heatwave.

Although 90% of Grape crop has already been harvested or picked but the remaining 10% fruits which were still in field have started dropping from the plants.

Fruits of Sweet Lime have also started dropping from the plants in several talukas such as Jalna, Badnapur, Ghansavangi, Mantha and Jafrabad.

No relief expected

Weathermen are not predicting nay relief from sky-high temperatures in the coming days as warm inland northerly winds will continue to blow across the state.

In absence of development of any significant weather system, mercury had started increase well before the time in March. April too started on hotter note and as we approach towards the thick of the summer season, mercury will only soar further.

In fact, a cyclone named ‘Maarutha’ had formed in Bay of Bengal but it remained confined to east Bay of Bengal. Thus, it could not give any weather activity over the Indian mainland.

In the coming times as well, we do not foresee any weather system affecting the central region of the country. Though mercury may drop by a degree or two but the fall will be a marginal one only.

Any significant relief is only expected at the time of onset of the Southwest Monsoon in India during June.

Image credit: Agrifarming.in

Any information taken from here should be credited to skymetweather.com