The El Nino phenomenon and its impact on Indian Monsoon

September 2, 2019 4:48 PM |

El Nino

El Niño in a layman’s language is the interaction of the oceanic current with the atmosphere, which leads to the warming of the Ocean called the Sea Surface Temperature (SST).

The El Niño lasts for about 9 to 12 months, usually developing between March and June. The phenomenon reaches its peak between December and April, weakening between May and July.

However, there are exceptions when the El Niño has lasted for 2 years at a stretch. Each evolution of El Niño is peculiar and has no set pattern and its impact on the Southwest Monsoon also varies.

Nino indices, the main driving force of the El Niño is measured in the Pacific Ocean over an area of 12 million square kilometres. El Niño results in the change of trade winds in the equatorial belt which causes a shift in the weather pattern across the world.

For India, the El Niño is always considered a threat. Whenever there is an El Niño the Southwest Monsoon in India is impacted. According to a statistic about 60% of the time there will be a probability of drought in the country during an El Niño year. Chances of below-normal rain will be 30%, while the prospect of normal rain remains very rare at 10%.

If we look back at the statistics from the year 2000 till 2019 there have been four instances of drought years. In 2002 and 2009 the countrywide deficiency was 19% and 22%, respectively, which were considered severe drought years. While in the year 2004 and 2015 the deficiency stood at 14% each, which was again a drought. There has been only one instance in the last 25 years (1997) that the country saw surplus rain of 2% despite El Niño.

How the El Niño originates and terminates is not yet known. Can we predict the scale of natural disasters caused by the effect of El Nino is also not possible? These factors, therefore, make El Nino a much more feared phenomenon.

Image Credit: The Hindu

Any information picked up from here should be attributed to Skymet Weather


For accurate weather forecast and updates, download Skymet Weather (Android App | iOS App) App.

Weather Forecast

Other Latest Stories

Weather on Twitter
RT @Rockerz17987373: #punerains#punerains @SkymetWeather It's almost 6pm here in pune and the dark clouds coming up with already lightning…
Wednesday, October 09 17:51Reply
As per the weathermen, we expect moderate #rains with one or two heavy spells to occur over the parts of #Assam and… t.co/qvOzGOmDp9
Wednesday, October 09 17:45Reply
हरियाणा, पंजाब, दिल्ली, उत्तर प्रदेश, मध्य प्रदेश व गुजरात में मौसम रहेगा शुष्क। पूर्वी, उत्तर-पूर्वी तथा दक्षिण… t.co/6PrxJdXQxl
Wednesday, October 09 17:15Reply
#Telangana: #Rain in #Adilabad, #Hyderabad, Jagtial, Jangaon, Jaya Shankar, Kamareddy, Khammam, Kothagudem, Mahabub… t.co/SKdj3d9O2S
Wednesday, October 09 17:04Reply
#AndhraPradesh: #Rain over #Anantapur, East #Godavari, Guntur, Krishna, Kurnool, Prakasam, Sri Potti Sriramulu… t.co/QV5mQyPMRv
Wednesday, October 09 17:03Reply
#WestBengal: Few spells of rain over #Bankura, Barddhaman, Birbhum, #Howrah, #Hooghly, #Kolkata, Murshidabad, Nadia… t.co/ixBbcuJQQZ
Wednesday, October 09 17:01Reply
#Maharashtra: #Rain and thundershower with gusty winds likely over #Ahmednagar, #Kolhapur, #Nashik, #Palghar, #Punet.co/lZgQMIQXJ3
Wednesday, October 09 17:00Reply
उम्मीद हैं की आज गंगीय पश्चिम बंगाल पर एक या दो भारी मध्यम बारिश हो सकती हैं । कल तक बारिश की गतिविधियां कम हो जाएं… t.co/yuscRmMDuq
Wednesday, October 09 17:00Reply
#Karnataka: #Rain over Bagalkot, #Bangalore Rural, Belgaum, Bellary, Bidar, #Bijapur, Chikmagalur, Chitradurga, Dha… t.co/K4fTlNu0BH
Wednesday, October 09 16:58Reply
#Rains to continue over #AndhraPradesh, parts of #Telangana, interior #Karnataka and #TamilNadu for next 2 days. Th… t.co/VSCGjPeT5k
Wednesday, October 09 16:45Reply

latest news

Skymet weather

Download the Skymet App

Our app is available for download so give it a try