Leonardo DiCaprio has become a household name after delivering back to back spectacular performances. While cinema has given him the much-deserved praise, his efforts as an environmental activist have always been applauded. Right from his social media accounts to his speeches, his passion for the environment speaks volumes.
While most of us continue to waste the resources bestowed upon us, DiCaprio has done all that it takes to protect his planet. Check out these ten things that prove that Leo has been acing his toughest role so far, the mission to save planet Earth.
1. Right after the release of Titanic, DiCaprio founded the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation. The foundation is a nonprofit organization which supports several environmental causes. The foundation focuses on four main areas including Climate Change, Wildlands Conservation, Oceans Conservation and Protecting Biodiversity. It supports projects in over 40 countries. (Image Credit: themetropolist.com)
2. Leonardo DiCaprio not only sits on the board of the World Wildlife Fund but several other similar organizations including Global Green USA, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). (Image Credit: wwf.worldwildlife.com)
3. DiCaprio is building an eco-friendly resort on his private island, Blackadore Caye off mainland Belize, which he bought in the year 2009. The island has been severely affected by deforestation of mangrove trees, overfishing, and an eroding coastline. Leo aims to restore it and open it to public in the year 2018. (Image Credit: celebdigs.com)
4. In 2007, he Leonardo DiCaprio produced a documentary film, Eleventh Hour on the situation of the environment. The documentary both co-produced and narrated by Leo himself sheds light on the current state of the planet Earth. Many experts from their field of knowledge have also spoken about the ways things can be turned the other way round. (Image Credit: hpulamalana.com)
5. Being an environmental activist, Leonardo DiCaprio only drives eco-friendly cars. One of his cars is a mid-sized, full hybrid electric Toyota Prius. Another asset of Leo’s is a Telsa Roadster, which is a two-door battery electric car, which can speed up to 97 km/hr. in less than 6 seconds. The most recent of DiCaprio’s belongings is the star performer Fisker Karma hybrid sports car. (Image Credit: bornrichimages.com)
6. The active environmentalist has donated millions of dollars to environmental causes on several occasions. While he gave $3 million to WWF in 2013, last July he made a generous donation of a massive $15 million to empower activists and organizations who are fighting to protect our beloved planet. He also donated $1 million to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund for the Earthquake in 2010. (Image Credit: zimbio.com)
7. He was made the UN Messenger of Peace by the United Nations and in September 2014, he gave a full-fledged speech at the United Nations summit on climate change in New York. He also dared to lecture UN delegates on how important it is to take an action immediately for cutting carbon emissions and cracking down on polluters. (Image Credit: guardian.com)
8. Last month, Leonardo DiCaprio also met Pope Francis to discuss the environment. Both DiCaprio and the Pope are quite passionate about the environment. DiCaprio also gave the Pope a check as a donation to papal charities. He spoke to the Pope about Climate Change, Global Warming and his concerns regarding the environment. (Image Credit: washtimes.com)
9. Last fall, DiCaprio joined the People’s Climate Change March. Also, he praised the progress made at the Paris Climate Conference to reduce carbon emissions. However, he also said that the next big step should be the elimination of fossil fuels. He also asked business leaders to let go of the corporate greed and focus on the betterment of the planet. (Image Credit: posting.org)
10. Leonardo DiCaprio believes in living green. The Revenant star not only drives eco-friendly cars but he also lives in an eco-friendly home. He has had solar panels installed on his rooftop, thus, all his energy requirements are fulfilled using the sunshine. Not only this, but his bedsheets are also organic and his toilets energy efficient. (Image Credit: greendiary.com)
Main Image Credit: 49mgreencampus.co.za; Featured Image Credit: scienectimes.com